Monday, September 6, 2010

MARGARITAVILLE Monday..



 Good evening (just as weird as Hello, but a little classier)



     Today was our "first day of work." I put that in quotes because, well, let me start from the beginning. The history of Margaritaville begins with two young Jamaicans who were fluent in the hospitality industry and started an upscale seafood restaurant named Marguerites which did very well; so they bought the old weathered down mansion next door, refurbished it and named it Marguertiaville, ("ville" being a little more festive and laid back) It featured Jamaica's first water slide, and did many club like parties. Anyway Jimmy Buffet got word of it, flew down to the Island, they had some boring business meetings and WALLAH (how do you spell that? Wah-la? Wa-llah? Any magicians in the house?) They joined creative forces and now there are about 11 locations in the Caribbean and United States.
   The Margaritaville located on Grand Caymen Island gets most of its business from the cruise ships that dock in the port right down the street. There were no ships docking today, and now that you understand that we can go back to the beginning.
     Today was our "First day of work." We went in, did some paper work, taught ourselves the crazy table numbers (there are about 480 seats, for all you LI Luxers thats 40 more seats with the patio) and learned about the drinks. (And yes there are umbrellas..Joanne this is for you)



We didn't get to do much more than that but I did get to see the Retail Store and the WATER SLIDE that are both part of the restaurant (I cant make this stuff up people, heres proof)




 [Disclosure: If you or someone you know is in this picture it wasn't intentional, DONT FREAK OUT]
   We got our uniforms which are some pretty cool t-shirts, (Pics to follow) a tiny apron, khaki shorts and white kicks (thats slang for sneakers) Ohh and we can wear hats. Any kind we want. YAY!!

     Sooo we left work at about 2pm (which will be our usual out time, yeah rough life, I know) and went searching for some shoes for Morgan, and ill be honest, I am def not a fashionista...I really don't know much about whats trendy or not...but seriously??



    These (if you cant tell) are JEAN shoes, with a SILVER metal toe. Is this cool? Is someone going to write me some hate mail because they own and love these shoes? Or is this just a trendy Island thing?
I don't get it, please someone explain......

    ANYWAY...we went back to the room real quick, dropped some stuff off and then went out to run some errands..(find a cell phone store..yoga studio..ect) and it started to rain. Morgan suggested we keep going because "a little rain never hurt anyone" which I was totally fine with because I had my umbrella;                [SIDE NOTE: my skin is rashing, damn sun, so I walked around the Island with my umbrella all day so as to completely avoid the sun. Im SURE that everyone thought I was a Wak-a-doodle. (Thats what my sweet non-cursing mom says)]  Welll...as we kept walking the drops got bigger and bigger and then we were in a full out tropical storm (I don't know that it actually counted as a tropical storm, BUT we are in the tropics and it was a storm, so whatever).....
   [Another SIDE NOTE, my legs are not weirdly shaped its just a weird camera angle..seriously..]



   Morgan was SOAKING wet after like 13 seconds and it looked as if I had climbed my way out of an oceanic grave (ok that didn't really make sense but I cant think of anything else to compare it to...ok let me try again..It looks like I was paving a road in a bathtub...hum I think that ones worse. Ok well whatever you can see the picture).....

  After  I showered the dirt and gravel off my legs we went out to 'Carlos and Martin' which is a little Tex Mex restaurant that Diana works at and had some DELICIOUS dinner. We met her friend 'Froggy' who is a photographer that works on a tourist boat at Sting Ray City and he showed us his underwater SLR camera, which just further inspired me to take more pictures.
   He also taught us two important things....
      
          1. If a man offers to buy your a 'Washington Apple' (its a drink) he's just trying to get u neked
          2. Roses are sweet but liquor is quicker.

  Hold onto those words of wisdom people and have a good night!!

  

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sara - I'm having so much fun reading! And BTW its voila! :)

    ReplyDelete