Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Cove of Mystery....(ooooh)

   Well we DID visit a cove, but there wasn't really any Mystery... I just wanted to get your attention.
            DONT LEAVE THOUGH!!  Theres still some cool stuff to be seen!!


Fact Of The Day: Grand Cayman is 22 miles long and less than 8 miles wide.
                             The temperature ranges from 94 degress in the summer to 75 degrees in the "winter"
                                (We've talked about using the word "winter") with humidity ranging from
                                  60 - 90 %. (I will totally vouch for that !!) (vouch..is that the word Im looking for?)
                             The average rainfall is anywhere from 40 - 60 inches per year, falling mainly during
                               May - October (Although I disagree. I think its fallen mostly in the last few days..arg)

    So its STILL raining here but again - we managed to do a Little exploring today anyway....
  After picking Isa up from work we went to :



     Which is a little cove right around the corner from Isa's school. It was drizzling out, which was
good for us because it kept the 'masses' (that means people) away, and brought the 'wildlife' (that means wildlife) out.

       I walked out on the ironshore towards the ocean, (which is slightly hard to do since ironshore is sharp and jagged, like coral but worse...I almost lost my footing a few times but am TERRIFIED of falling on Fire Coral (which fyi isn't even around there) so I finally came up with a method of walking...)(Sorry totally irrelevant) Moving on.... I did find these things ALL over the ironshore, mostly under the water and I have NO idea what they are. I 'googled' for over 30 minutes in an attempt to locate their name or even if they are alive or fossils or plants or aliens or anything. I found NOTHING. I tried poking them with a stick and they were hard and did not move and since they LOOK like roaches I left it at that. (KIM, its not a spider or scorpion so keep reading!)


       I went a little more inland (in case those things decided to start moving and attack me) and found...
  

      This little fellow. He was crawling around on the iron shore also...Again I attempted to look up what kind of crab this was but the only picture I could find that even resembled him was called a "Harris Mud Crab". But again, Im not sure that its the same kind...this one seems to have more speckles. (Wikipedia GET IT TOGETHER) If it IS a Harris crab then him and his family have been seen in the Panama Canal, and have been "disrupting local ecosystems by invading freshwater lakes and spreading crustacean diseases" (UM yeah, that might be the most boring fact ever...my apologies)

     Let me try and distract you from that with some scenic pictures:







(Yes that is a chicken on the left, but thats a WHOLE other blog topic)


OOOH....AAAAH...(Did it work? Have you forgotten all about the boringness?)
(Is boringness a word? Spell check didn't yell at me so I think it is)


As I was taking these picture Isa called me over to point out the 'LoveBugs'. I thought that was cute of her to name them that, but when I went to look them up I found that its actually
their real name. (Shocking that I finally got some information about something!) They also go by           'Two headed bugs' and 'Honeymoon bugs'



Apparently these bugs attach themselves near the abdomen - (If Im to be graphically honest here, the female basically has a stinger like appendage coming out her anus (anus is the technical term for ass, therefore making this less inappropriate) and that sticks into the males anus. Id imagine its slightly uncomfortable but we wont get into that because its not that kind of blog) And they mate for LIFE. Imagine that...they stay attached while they eat, sleep, and even fly. AND even when the male dies the female continues to carry him around until all of her eggs are laid (up to 350 of them!) and the SHE dies also.
(Now that was way more interesting right?)

HOWEVER, if they do get separated they will be able to find each other again, even amongst many of their 'piers'. And Isa showed us how to take them apart..(children have NO fear..)


First you have to convince your mother that its not scary to handle the bugs...


              Next, you have to find a nest of them and convince them to allow you to pick them up...


              THEN you must let them crawl around on your hands to make them feel safe....


             Once they are comfortable with the separation you GENTLY pull them apart....


                   And FINALLY you put them back in your hands and allow them to reconnect...
              (Sometimes being separated from your life long mate is GOOD for your relationship)



(And this is a Lovebug Orgy. Don't judge bugs like to experiment also)


        Well Obv we didn't make it to the Turtle Farm today, we did something EVEN BETTER, but I cant blog about it until tomorrow because my computer wont allow me to upload any more pictures right now and the Pictures are necessary. (I'll Bet your soooo curious..and you should be!!)


Random Picture of the Day: (This color is less offensive but not as visible)


  This picture was taken in Salem, Mass which is one of my FAVORITE places. Not that I am obsessed with witches OR history, but yeah ok I love it all!! I like to think that this house is SUPER haunted with the spirits of all the people murdered during the 'Great Witch Hunt'. If your in the area you should def go visit. Its a little touristy, but you can find some really cool things there....

Tomorrow I am working again, 3 ships, hopefully Ill make 1,000,000$.
Wish me LUCK!!!


    



3 comments:

  1. this might be my favorite blog post so far. I loved like every part of it, i could have kept reading for hours. thank you, just made my day so much better. PS.. (can u use PS in a blog comment?) i want the pic of the love bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks Lovebug!! (haha get it?)
    yes Ive decided that PS is a universal (word, phrase?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete